Monday, August 23, 2010

DMV

So it was a nightmare, but I finally have a license with my new name on it.  Unfortunately, we moved right after the wedding, so I had to get a TN license in order to change my name at a DMV.  Well, Memphis is quite a big city and I didn't want to drive too far in case I was missing something I needed.  So I decided to go to one in the city- that was a mistake.  It took 5 hours of my day!

The line was out the door when I went to park, and I stood in this line for a good 40 minutes or so before I finally made it inside the building where I waited for about another 25 to actually talk with someone who could get me an application.  I knew I had to have "2 proofs of residency," but apparently mine were not "valid."  Installation slips and photocopies were not valid.  Bills were, but Tyler and I pay our bills online.  One of the valid proofs that blew my mind was a work badge... because, well one can live in Mississippi and work in Tennessee.  Go figure- the DMV is ridiculous!

So she gave me this list of all the things that were valid and a ticket saying that when I came back the same day I didn't have to wait in line.  I went back to the apartment (scarfed down lunch) and found the one electricity bill that was sent to us (after that first bill, we signed up to pay online).  I tried to find anything else that matched the list the DMV employee gave me... but nothing!  So I took a couple of post-marked envelopes addressed to us at our new address and the photocopied lease, praying that she would take these as proof to let me apply.

It worked!  I'm sure it only worked because I looked trustworthy... at least I hope that's why.  I mean honestly, why would anyone go through that much agony to have a license for a state they don't live in??!!

After this, I waited for another 2 and a half hours before they called my number.  Then all I had to do was the vision test, wait for the next employee to type in a bunch of information, and take my picture.  Tennessee DMV is a PAIN to say the least!  Glad that's over...

No comments:

Post a Comment