Thursday, September 9, 2010

My First Eye Exam at the Eye Center at SCO

I had my first exam at the Eye Center today.  It was very different for me as it was my first exam not with Dr. Moser.  We get to be patients for students in their 3rd year of optometry school, so they can't be as fast as the doctors.  I knew it would take a while, and I couldn't be impatient since that's going to be me in a couple of years.

I told them about how I can never keep my two-week lenses for a full two weeks, so they are making me use clear care solution.  I've never used it before, so we'll see how it works.  Everyone who uses it seems to love it.

I certainly get homesick sometimes from the little differences here and there.  This appointment was one of them.  The one doctor I went to in Raleigh who I actually enjoyed, and whose energetic personality got me interested in the profession, was Dr. Moser.  The students needed practice with a lot of things that didn't need to be done, so it was hard to sit through monotonous procedures.

The exam took 2.5 hours, and I have to come back Wednesday the 29th to follow up on the contact lens prescription and get dilated.  I'm not sure if I find this Rx as sharp as my previous one, but I think they took away some of my minus.  As Dr. Newman told us, myopes will fight for their minus, so you don't want to take it away... but they did!  Oh well.  I will mess with these for a few weeks and see how I do.  I have toric lenses in both eyes now, instead of just my right.  It's weird.  Nonetheless, the students were extremely nice and patient- especially with my inability to have my IOP checked with a puff of air.  I don't think she's ever seen anyone blink as much as me.  Oops!

In 2 weeks I will have my first two exams in Anatomy and Theory & Methods.  Both of those exams are scheduled for Friday.  The following week I have two exams, a quiz, and a lab practical on retinoscopy.   One exam is Physiology and the other is Optics.  My quiz is in Biochemistry.  I would say keeping up with 23 hours and a work study is the most time consuming schedule I have ever had in my life.

I'm going to try to join the Optometric Private Practice club and FCO (Fellowship of Christian Optometrists).  I wanted to do SVOSH (Student Volunteers for Optometric Service to Humanity), but there is a TON of lab hours required to go on the trips and you have to do a lot of jobs to raise money for the trips.  It's a very time-consuming volunteer organization that I just don't think I will have time for while trying to maintain happiness in my first year of marriage.  Hopefully, I can join it next year, but if not, FCO still does amazing mission trips!  Furthermore, my reward for myself was to under-commit myself in graduate school :)

Speaking of marriage, Tyler and I are doing wonderful!  He is working at a gymnastics gym about 15 minutes away from our apartment.  He is also looking for some other part time jobs to cover the morning hours that he doesn't work.  I know he will be able to find a teaching job whenever his NC license comes in, but we're not sure how long that will take.

Our tadpoles still haven't gotten legs and we have NO idea why.  We also lost the female frog about a week ago.  Tyler went to Petco yesterday and got another female.  We had never named the frogs before (beats me why not), so when Tyler got the new female we decided to name them.  The female is Kirby and the male is Sleven.

Work study is pretty good.  I am working with Campus Security and it's pretty low key.  I feel like we make work for ourselves that's totally pointless (radio checks every 30 minutes, writing our hours down in two different places, and putting our initials on printed e-mails that our boss receives).  However, I get paid $11/hour to pretty much sit at the front desk in the tower and make sure no one without a badge enters the building.

Wow!  That was a lot of updates.  I'm really tired, but I still have some more studying to do before I can sleep.  Class starts bright and early at 7:45am on Fridays, and I don't get to leave until 4:30 (theory and methods lab).

E-mail me if you have any updates to share with me or just want to say hi!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment