Sunday, November 4, 2012

Happy Halloween!


In honor of Halloween, I must say that it's quite "spooky" to realize that Tyler and I will be in North Carolina this time next year!!  It's kind of bitter sweet knowing that we will get to celebrate Halloween with different friends than the SCO crowd.  However, to be able to say that this was a GREAT Halloween is quite refreshing!! 

The weekend all started out with SVOSH's annual Eye 5K, which raises money for their mission trips in May.  As I've decided to start a new hobby of running, I had to sign up.  And not only did I sign up, I ran with a team.  Every year, the faculty and staff put together a team, and if the student team's combined time beats the combined faculty time, the students get taken out to dinner.  So I decided to run, and I ran with a crew of students who won last year, so I was kind of nervous.  But we won!  We'll be going out for pizza some time soon.  Because the Eye 5K fell over Halloween weekend, it was a "come in costume" event.  Our 5K team was the "Runaway Convicts from the SCO Prison."  I came in 3rd for my age group - technically 4th, but they separate the overall winners from the age categories, and the girl who placed 1st in our age group got the best female time - so it opened up the 3rd place slot for me!  I'm going to keep running and training, so that someday, I can actually win a 5K... maybe.  :)


My medal for proof :)
Our Team in our jail bird orange

That night, after the 5K, we had our Halloween parties!  I dressed up as a beanie baby with my friend Jeanne.  There were lots of creative costumes!
El Dia de los Muertos sugar skulls [Day of the Dead]

Steve Urkel

2 blind mice - RIP mouse #3 - I guess he couldn't see death coming


check out those perfectly accurate tags made by Jeanne

she did such a good job

Katniss and Peeta from The Hunger Games

Crazy cat lady with her cats + Mario ;)

To prove accuracy of my costume! :)
Valentino and Zip - beanie babies

Another tradition of SCO is decorating the Eye Center for Halloween.  Basically the thought is that everyone celebrates Halloween, but not everyone celebrates Christmas.  Therefore, to do something fun for the kids that isn't discriminatory, we go all out for Halloween - crafts, candy, decorations - the WORKS.  Student clubs/organizations (like FCO, SVOSH, OPP, etc.) are assigned various suites to decorate (if they choose to participate) in The Eye Center.  The people who schedule appointments, try to schedule as many children as they can, and we make it a fun time for the kids.  FCO (the club for which I'm president) decorated a suite with the theme, "Monster's Inc."  We had a lot of fun decorating.  Unfortunately, we didn't place in the suite-decorating competition, but maybe next year ;).  On Monday the 29th when SCO held it's annual Halloween at the Eye Center, my friend Keri and I got to help with the crafts in the waiting room - Halloween felt masks and pipe cleaner glasses.  Keri and I got to recycle our costumes from Saturday night's shenanigans.  Here are some pictures from the fun at the Eye Center.

Family after making masks.  The little boy on the left has one, but he wouldn't wear it for the picture.

This woman had a ton of fun with me and Keri in the waiting room.  She wanted to make everything - and look, she made stuff to match her festive Halloween attire!

funky pipe cleaner glasses :)

He was so excited about his yellow and black frames

Under the See

A jelly fish!


SVOSH's monopoly suite.  Too bad Dr. Harris got stuck at the air port.  He was going to be the perfect Mr. Monopoly!

The winning suite - The Masquerade!!

FCO's Monster's Inc.

I painted those logos on the windows :) So proud



Pin the Eye on Mike game!

Boo's door
Dr. Dorkowski was in the "Under the See" suite!  He had the best Captain Hook costume ever!!


The whole Monster's Inc. Gang

Despicable Me

Despicable Me

I loved this addition!  So cute!

Despicable Me

Characters from Despicable Me

Dr. Seuss


 All in all, it was a fabulous Halloween!  It's so fun to see how creative everyone at school can be!  It will be sad to not be in the Eye Center on Halloween next year, because it's so magical to see everything decorated.  Now, I just have to figure out what to be next year! :)

I hope everyone had a wonderful Halloween!!  And just because I love her so, here is a picture of my beautiful niece in her adorable elephant costume!!




No comments:

Post a Comment